Are Liquid Drain Cleaners Harmful to Pipes?
Products such as Liquid-Plumr and Drano are strong enough to break up clogs in your pipes such as hair, food, or grease, and they do work in some instances, but you should use caution when pouring them down the drain. Liquid-Plumr and Drano are chemically designed to eat away at whatever is clogging your pipes, which can result in damaging the pipes themselves.
Single Use, Not Frequent Use
Simply put, Liquid-Plumr and Drano are not designed for frequent use. Because of the chemicals found in these types of products, you could cause irreparable damage to your pipes. In most cases, a single use of Liquid-Plumr or Drano will not cause any issues with your pipes, though you should avoid using them in your toilet.
Other Options for Clog Clearing
It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to unclogging your pipes. If you’ve used an over-the-counter chemical drain cleaner and you are still having problems with clogged pipes, try the following tips:
- Use a flange plunger. Sometimes an old-fashioned plunging will help remove the clog or loosen it to allow water to run through your pipes uninterrupted. Try plunging before and after using a drain cleaner to break up any loose objects in your pipe.
- Try a drain snake. If you have a drain snake or a toilet auger, use it to break the clog or obstruction down the drain.
- Call a professional. If the above options don’t work, you may have a clog in the sewer line, or in some cases, you may have tree roots constricting the edges of your pipes. If your obstruction is located in the sewer line, you will need a professional plumber to fix it.
Remember, while over-the-counter chemical drain cleaners might work for one-time use, you’re taking a risk every time you use them, especially if your pipes are older. Be wary when using liquid drain clog removers. The chemicals in these bottled solutions can quickly eat away at your pipes.
The best way to safely remove clogs or obstructions in your pipes is to schedule an appointment with a licensed plumber to remove the obstruction correctly while maintaining the integrity of your pipes.
For fast and reliable help with your sump drain and pipe maintenance and other plumbing needs, contact the Superior Drainage experts today! We are fully equipped for any sewer or drain problem. Whether it’s an interior or exterior issue, our experienced experts can help fix your clogged drain can help.
If you are experiencing any type of sewer or drain problem in the Akron, Ohio, area, Superior Drainage will be able to help fix the problem. Request an appointment today!
Request A Quote Today!
Request A Quote
Treating You with Respect
We set the bar high by treating our customers the way we’d want to be treated. When you work with Superior Drainage, you get:
- Free estimates
- Convenient service windows
- Straightforward pricing
- Comprehensive service offerings
- And more!