Flush Your Hot Water Heater Regularly
Don’t get stuck unexpectedly taking a cold shower! Follow these tips below for regularly maintaining your hot water heater.
Your water heater will gather mineral deposits and sediment as time goes on and it’s important to make sure you take the proper steps to maintain it. Flushing helps eliminate sediment that can wear down your tank and will help it run more efficiently. You should flush out your hot water heater either annually or semi-annually, depending on the number of people in your household. Check out these tips for hot water tank repairs:
- Before you begin: Before you do any maintenance on your hot water heater, check your hot water heater’s labels and owner’s manual for the proper way to disconnect the power and water supply. Also, check the manual to determine whether your hot water heater is gas or electric (note:if you are working with a gas hot water heater, be sure to lower the temperature setting to “Pilot.”) Shut off the electric supply from your fuse box and the water supply to your hot water heater.
- Attach a hose: You’ll find a spigot on the bottom of your hot water heater. Attach a hose to the spigot and place the other end of the hose outside, in a drain or in a bucket.
- Drain the tank: Turn on the spigot slowly. Make sure everything is tightly secured and you have a big enough bucket to hold all the water. Be careful! The water coming out is EXTREMELY hot. Open the pressure valve on the top of the tank and allow at least 30 minutes for the water to drain out.
- Flush the tank: Once the water finishes draining, you can turn the water back on. Let the water flow until the water coming out of the hose is completely clear. This will signal to you that your tank is flushed out and clean. Turn the water back off.
- Refill the tank: Remove the hose and close the pressure valve. Turn the water back on and allow the tank to fill. Once full, you can turn the power back on.
- Schedule an inspection: If you don’t feel comfortable testing or removing the water from your hot water heater, schedule an appointment for a water tank checkup. We’ll check for sediment buildup, drain your tank properly and make recommendations for maintaining and caring for your hot water heater.
For help with your hot water heater maintenance and other plumbing needs, request an appointment with the Superior Drainage experts today!
Request A Quote Today!
Request A Quote
Treating You with Respect
We set the bar high by treating our customers the way we’d want to be treated. When you work with Superior Drainage, you get:
- Free estimates
- Convenient service windows
- Straightforward pricing
- Comprehensive service offerings
- And more!